Most know about the Big Fish House in downtown Wetumpka, but there’s an even older historic home built in 1828 further up the hill overlooking the town. This home was originally built by William Houghton, later a member of the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company. The Golson family, which started The Wetumpka Herald later owned the home. There’s a beautiful water tower made of rock still on the property, and the porte-cochere is intact! The home is purported to have the first wooden floors in Wetumpka.